- 25 Jun 2021
Beyond real-time: the value of pre-authorised payments from bank accounts
The face of payments in Australia has changed dramatically over the last twenty to thirty years, with the pace of change set to accelerate as technological advancements revolutionise the way we make, receive and request payments.
As the most frequently requested capability for the New Payments Platform (NPP), enabling the capabilities required to support third-party payment initiation from bank accounts has been a key priority for the payments and banking industry. Known as PayTo, this service will leverage the infrastructure of the NPP to drive the next phase of growth for the Platform.
PayTo will lead the use of embedded, pre-authorised payments from bank accounts in Australia, supporting a diverse range of payment use cases. It will provide consumers and businesses greater confidence, certainty and control over account-to-account payments as they are moved seamlessly into the background.
While PayTo will be available from mid-2022, when shifts in payment technology occur you want to be at the front of the queue to gain a first mover advantage over competitors. To help payment service providers and enterprises plan for the introduction of PayTo this white paper looks at:
- The origins of real-time payments in Australia and the future directions for the NPP;
- The rapid uptake of payment initiation in the UK under Open Banking;
- The value PayTo will deliver to consumers and businesses and what the user journey looks like from the end-user perspective;
- The role different participants play in the PayTo ecosystem; and
- What Cuscal is doing to enable the PayTo services that are required by payer banks and payment initiators.
Format: White paper
Audience: Payment service providers and enterprises that process a large volume of payments
Estimated reading time: 20 minutes